Technology is everywhere, and it is constantly evolving. All kinds of technological developments have even made their way into the field of dentistry, vastly improving the way we can diagnose and treat a variety of different issues. At National Dental Hicksville, we can improve the quality of your oral care with ICAT.
What is ICAT?
Digital imaging includes all kinds of different scans – X-rays, CAT (computerized axial tomography) scans, CT (computed tomography) scans. ICAT is a highly advanced form of digital imaging. The technology of ICAT is similar to the technology of X-rays, although the images that the machine produces more closely resemble the images produced by a CT scan. The ICAT machine consists of a cone-shaped X-ray beam. This beam rotates one full time around your head, capturing several images as it does. Once the beam has stopped, the images that were taken are organized into one single 3-dimensional picture. This picture shows your bones and your teeth, as well as your soft tissues and even nerves. Images produced by ICAT technology allow for more accurate diagnoses and effective treatment plans.
What is it Like to Get a Scan?
On the day of your scan, we ask that you arrive comfortably dressed. You should avoid wearing any jewelry (necklaces, earrings, other facial piercings), as well as any metal in your hair, such as hairpins or clips. Hairbands or headbands with metal should also be avoided.
Before you sit down for your scan, we will advise you to remove glasses and hearing aids, if applicable. We will then instruct you to place your chin on the rest. We then make any necessary adjustments so that we can get an accurate scan. When ready, we will tell you to remain completely still, and the scan will begin. It will take less than 60 seconds from the time it starts until the time it ends. The image will appear very shortly after the scan is complete, ready for inspection and diagnosis.
One Scan, Multiple Uses
One ICAT image provides us with a unique look into the structures of your mouth – bone, teeth, soft tissues and nerves. It can be used for a variety of different purposes:
- Determining whether or not a bone graft is necessary for dental implants.
- The best placement for implants.
- Viewing the internal structures of your teeth for a complete root canal.
- Examining impacted teeth.
- Diagnosing pathological diseases.
- Taking a closer look at sinus cavities, nasal passageways, and nerve passageways.
- Jaw surgery.
Benefits of ICAT
There are several benefits to using ICAT technology:
- With precise 1 to 1 measurements, we can design restorations that will fit properly in your mouth.
- The 3-dimensional image provides multiple angles.
- Software allows us to manipulate the image as we need.
- One scan shows bone, teeth, soft tissues and nerves.
- The scan is quick and completely painless.
- Once your scan is over, the image displays on our computer monitor within seconds.
Thanks to the high-quality images produced by our ICAT machine, we can provide you with the best possible treatment plans for the best possible outcome. For more information on ICAT, contact National Dental Hicksville today at (516) 629-5086!