For many decades, your options for replacing missing teeth were severely limited. Depending upon the number of teeth you were missing, it was either a fixed bridge, partial dentures or full (or complete) dentures. Technological developments have seen vast improvements in these replacement options in recent years, but they are not ideal for everyone. At National Dental Hicksville, we provide you with another option – dental implants. Moreover, we can even provide them to you the same day you undergo your procedure.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the most recent option available for replacing missing teeth and are nothing like the options preceding them. The implants themselves are small rods, made out of titanium, and they are surgically implanted into your jawbone. The success of the implants relies on osseointegration, a process in which the bone fuses to rods. This fusion transforms the rods into “roots” that securely support your replacement teeth.
Along with the titanium rods, there are a few more components involved. The implants are topped with an abutment or connector. Your replacement teeth, made out of ceramic (a material that perfectly mimics the color and light reflection abilities of enamel) are then screwed in place, anchored by the abutments. Once set in place, the implants secure in your jawbone, you are left with a strong, beautiful smile that looks and functions just like your natural teeth.
Dental Implants for All Needs
Dental implants are designed to suit a variety of needs, whether you have lost a single tooth, or you have lost all of your teeth. To meet your specific needs, we offer different types of dental implants:
- Single tooth implants. When you are missing one tooth, we can insert a single implant, which then supports a single crown.
- Multiple tooth implants. Also, commonly referred to as an implant supported the bridge, multiple tooth implants are used to replace sections of missing teeth, taking the place of a fixed bridge or partial denture. A set of replacement teeth is supported by one or more implants, depending on how many teeth are missing, along with other factors.
- Implant supported a denture. Instead of dentures to replace an entire arch of missing teeth, 6 to 8 dental implants are inserted into your jawbone and support an arch of replacement teeth.
- All-on-4® treatment concept. You lose bone mass in your jaw when you lose your teeth. However, implants require sufficient bone mass for osseointegration to be successful. This used to mean that patients who were lacking the necessary bone mass either would need a bone graft first, or would be relegated to traditional dentures. The All-on-4 treatment concept, however, provides patients with bone loss a chance to enjoy the benefits of dental implants by strategically placing four titanium rods.
How are Implants Usually Placed?
Implants are placed using a surgical procedure. After a local anesthetic (and any sedation, if necessary), we make incisions in your gums to expose the bone underneath. We then drill into the bone and place the implants. Finally, your gum tissue is stitched closed around the implants.
Typically, this would be the point where you are provided with temporary teeth while you heal, a process which can take anywhere from several weeks to several months depending on how many implants have been placed (along with other factors). We monitor your progress as you heal. When osseointegration is complete, we would place the abutment on the implants and take impressions. The impressions would be sent to a lab for your final teeth to be created, which could take another two weeks. Once your teeth were ready, you would finally be able to have your fully functioning replacements.
Getting Your Dental Implants the Same Day
Thanks to technological developments, the wait time for your final restorations can be eliminated. In fact, you can get your teeth the very same day you undergo implant surgery. Rather than waiting until after you heal to create your permanent teeth, we create them before the day of your surgery, so they are ready and waiting for you.
Your teeth are created using our ICAT machine and CAD/CAM (Computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing). A single scan produces a 3-dimensional image of your mouth, showing bone, teeth (if any), soft tissues and your nerves. The image provides exact 1:1 measurements. With the help of specialized computer software, we can design your properly fitting replacement teeth, as well as plan the best possible placement for the titanium rods.
After your teeth have been designed, the information regarding the parameters and specifications of your mouth is sent to a milling machine. Your permanent teeth are fabricated and are ready for you when you come in for your implant procedure. Immediately after your gums are stitched closed, the abutments are placed and your permanent teeth screwed into place.
Benefits of Same Day Implants
The biggest benefit associated with same day dental implants is that you get to leave the office the same day as your surgery with a set of fully functional, permanent teeth. The waiting period, and need to wear temporary restorations, is eliminated. You will still return for periodic follow-up visits so that we can monitor the progression of your healing, but you will require fewer visits overall.
Other benefits of same day implants are similar to the benefits associated with dental implants in general. These benefits include:
- You are provided with a permanent solution to tooth loss. They are screwed in place and are only removed when they need maintenance. Your teeth do not need to be replaced every few years. Implants are designed to last a lifetime.
- Implants are easy to care for. They can, and should, be brushed just like your natural teeth, which will help to prevent the buildup of plaque and bacteria that can otherwise cause gum disease. They also are not removed at night for cleaning.
- The functions of your mouth are restored. Your ability to eat is improved, which improves your digestion. Speech is improved. Moreover, of course, your beautiful smile is restored.
- The titanium rods imitate the functions of the roots of your teeth. They stimulate your jawbone, which sends messages to your body to continue sending the nutrients required to keep the bone strong and healthy. The strength and integrity of your jawbone are preserved, as is the shape of your face. No other tooth replacement option offers this benefit.
Learn more about dental implants:
The development of dental implants has revolutionized the replacement of missing teeth. However, you shouldn’t have to wait months on end before you get your final replacements. Contact National Dental Hicksville at (516) 629-5086 to find out if same day implants are right for you.